Have someone on your list that is hard to shop for? Tired of buying gifts just so they can sit in a closet? If so, try buying gifts this holiday season that give back to local non-profits in Northwest Portland.
Here are 5 ideas to get you started:
1. Audubon Society Gifts: Purchase a gift for a nature lover from the Audubon Society Nature Store. They offer various logo items, binoculars and books. Audubon membership gift certificates are also available, as well as a gift certificate for a one hour backyard visit with a habitat expert in order to make your yard more inviting and friendly for wildlife. 100% of profits from this store go back into the Audubon Society.
5151 NW Cornell Road | Portland, OR 97210
2. Forest Park Hiking Maps: Perfect for that person on your list who loves the outdoors. Forest Park offers two different maps that nature lover would enjoy. The Hiking and Running Guide to Forest Park is a set of 10 rain and wear resistant maps with loop hikes and runs. This map includes an index map of the entire park along with the individual maps of each loop. This map is offered for $22.50. If that is a little much, try The Green Trails Map for $10. This is a simpler overview map which includes small inset maps of trails in Washington Park and the Hoyt Arboretum. Profits from the purchase of these maps benefit the Forest Park Conservancy which helps maintain and improve trails and compete park projects.
1505 NW 23rd Avenue | Portland, OR 97210
3. Northwest Children’s Theater Tickets: These make the perfect stocking stuffer. Give a theater-lover tickets to one of the performances at the Northwest Children’s Theater. There are many great shows coming up including Annie, Robin Hood, Go, Dog, Go!, and Snow White! Ticket sales go right back to the theater and school which educates, entertains and enriches the lives of young audiences.
1819 NW Everett St| Portland, OR 97209
4. Mercy Corps Gifts that change lives: Know someone who has everything? Well, how about giving to someone who has nothing instead? Mercy Corps has 40 gifts to chose from that go directly to a family in need. Gifts include: animals that make daily living possible for many families, providing vaccinations and education to children, providing clean water, helping families rebuild homes, feeding families and children, as well as many more that benefit those around the world in-need. Give a gift and get a card showing your donation in their name.
45 SW Ankeny St | Portland, OR 97204
5. Where I Slept Book: The Transition Projects are offer the popular book, Where I Slept, which confronts homelessness by asking formerly homeless persons a simple question: Where did you sleep? The proceeds of this book go to support Transition Projects’ programs that help people end homelessness.
475 NW Glisan St | Portland, OR 97209